Thursday, January 27, 2022

Lake Michigan. January 27, 2022

 

January 27. A little bit after 8am. Around 20° with light winds.

Shot with a 20mm, I don't know why I focused on the moving ice. I should have focused on the ice cluster as it barely made it into the depth of field.

I didn't feel like shooting this morning, feeling tired getting up at 6:30am and I knew that the wind would not be making any waves. But I knew that I could not miss the opportunity, whether or not an opportunity existed at all. I always have my gear packed and ready, just in case. So I headed out late at 7:30am with the school buses and commuters. And 15-20 minutes later I am at the lake. From my car I could see that new features had formed in the ice.

To my surprise, I saw that a recent section of ice had formed in the last few days, but instead of piling on top of the existing ice to make more shelf ice, it stayed about 50' off the shore. I isolated this section of ice and hoped that the transition of the time, light and ice might make something happen.

No comments: